Follow Us: Five Most Influential Tweeters
Twitter as a social media platform is unique, in that it allows users to express themselves in only 140 characters at a time. Support for the platform has grown in leaps and bounds, with politicians and celebrities joining the site. They have found the platform useful as it allows them to connect directly with their fans and followers on a personal level. The platform grants every one of its users a voice. Some of its users admittedly are louder than others but all have the option to express themselves as little or as much as they would like. Here is a list of five most influential tweeters and who have the most followers on the social media platform.
1. Barrack Obama: No surprise here, as “four more years” was the most Tweeted event in the platforms history. Barack Obama has to come top of the Most Influential Tweeters list. The digital media platform has played a pivotal role in keeping the public and president connected with each other. Twitter allows Barack Obama to keep his finger of the pulse of public feeling and allows him to express his stance on current topics and debates. Most recently the president used the platform to announce his stance on equal marriage rights.
2. Pete Cashmore: As founder and CEO of online blog site: Mashable, which is “dedicated to covering digital culture, social networks and technology.” Aged 26, Cashmore was recently crowned the most influential person in the world 2012, by Time magazine. The principle social media authority, whose account has tweeted in excess of 50, 000 individual tweets. These tweets, which mainly consist of the latest blog or article from Mashable, have gained him over 3 million followers. In order to keep up with the ever changing world of social media, following Pete Cashmore, who we think should take the number two spot on the most influential tweeters list, is essential.
3. Oprah Winfrey: The Queen of American reality TV appears in many guises, whether as actor, producer or host of her globally acclaimed talk show. Over recent years she has continued to grow in popularity. Shaping a public image for herself as a strong and charismatic character. As on her talk show, Oprah Winfrey uses the platform as a forum to express her views by tweeting on current affairs and social issues, signed with her signature trademark of empathy and compassion.
4. Stephen Fry: One of the leading Stalwarts of British popular culture. The comedian, actor and writer gained himself a huge online following on Twitter. His follower’s number in the region of four million. He was quick to join the platform in its infancy back in 2008. Some social media analysts argue that the platforms popularity in the UK is due to Fry’s activity on the site. His following has been grown gradually over time. With many users been won over by his sustained level of wit making him number four on our list of most influential tweets.
5. Felicia Day: The actress, writer and comedian has successfully built herself a loyal following of just over two million followers. Due to the dedication of her followers she has in the past crashed sites, simply by linking them to her Twitter. With the web provider being unable to handle the levels of subsequent traffic. So we feel she has to ‘make the list’ of the most influential tweeters. She is heralded by many as the queen of the online geek and gaming community. Setting up shop in 2007 with the release of her extremely popular “The Guild” series. Now she has managed to build a career for herself by creating original web content. Her YouTube channel “Geek and Sundry”, has a large following and features programs aimed towards the Geek and Indie culture.